After a visit to the doctors office last Friday with 2 sick boys, we had a pretty quiet Saturday. That changed on Sunday when Jack took 2 naps, both of which he woke up screaming. He would calm down about 30 minutes later, and would grab his ear. I asked him why he was holding his ear, to which he replied, "hurt". So, Justin took both the boys back to the doctor on Monday. Jack had an ear infection in his right ear, and the doctor said Elijah's breathing sounded noticeably worse. Both were diagnosed with bronchialitis, aka likely RSV. Of course we kept them from daycare, but Jack was ready to go back yesterday. He's a trooper.
While I was home taking care of Elijah yesterday, the nurse from the doctors office called to follow up, and had me count Eli's breathing. She said he was still breathing fast, and would check with the doctor. By the time she called back, I had my own set of concerns. Eli was obviously eating less (had been for a couple days, but always had wet diapers), his cough had developed into more of a hack, and he seemed lethargic and a little dazed. So I requested he be seen. I had plans to go into the office that afternoon, so Justin took Eli back in. He had dropped a little weight (I think about 5 oz), but he was still wetting diapers so that wasn't too concerning. His breathing was labored, though his oxygen levels seemed ok. They decided we should take him to the hospital for additional monitoring. Basically, oxygen levels tend to drop when eating and sleeping, so they wanted to monitor Elijah through both of those events. Justin took Elijah over while I fed Jack dinner and waited for Papa to come over. I joined them at the hospital a little later, while Elijah was sleeping. In short, Elijah had really good oxygen levels when awake, like 97-100%, and he stayed above 90% while eating and sleeping. So they sent us home with some directions on how to care for him.
Though a little scary to be sending my infant to the hospital, I was more relieved than anything. Nice we have such care available to us. And photos of little trooper #2!


No comments:
Post a Comment